|Tomioka Tessai (1836-1924) & Yôraku Tôzan (dates unknown)|
Chawan: FujiSigned: Tetsu dôjin & Tôzan (bottom)
Technique: grey raku with brown underglaze iron oxyde decoration Ø 11,5 x 7
Date: before 1921
Box: signed double
The inscription reads: Tenchi ikurei - Heaven and earth raise the soul
Box inscription inside signed: Taishô kyûnen koharu Tessai hachijûyûgo sô saikan heidai. [seal:] Tessai
In the indian summer of Taishô 9 (1921) the 85 years old man Tessai looked at this bowl again and wrote this inscription.
Tomioka Tessai was the last great exponent of the Nanga School. He was born in Kyoto into a family selling robes and accessories for the Buddhist clergy. As a result of a childhood illness he became partly deaf, and his parents decided he would never be a successful shopkeeper. He went to study the Japanese classics in order to become a Shinto priest. As a youth he met Ōtagaki Rengetsu (1791-1875) and became her special protégé. She taught him waka and encouraged his artistic inclinations. In the final years of the Tokugawa era Tessai was involved in the imperialist movement. For fear of being arrested he left Kyoto in 1861 and travelled to Nagasaki. In 1882 after many trips he settled in Kyoto where he spent the rest of his life. Although he worked as a priest at several Shinto shrines, he saw painting as his chief occupation. Between 1894 and 1904 he was a teacher at the Kyoto Prefectural Art School founded by Tanomura Chokunyû (1814-1907). He was a regular contributor to exhibitions of Chokunyû’s Nanga Society. In 1917 he was appointed Artist to the Imperial Household and towards the end of his life he received an honorary court-rank.
Roberts p. 181
Araki pp. 2754-2755
Aburai pp. 266-267
Morioka & Berry ‘99 pp. 116-121
Morioka & Berry ‘08 p. 305-06