|59. Yokoyama Taikan (1868-1958) & Kiyomizu Rokubei V (1875-1959)|
Shubin (Tokkuri), sake bottles: Sanmyaku - Mountain rangeSigned: Taikan, Rokubei saku
Technique: Kyôyaki sometsuke, white porcelain with a cobalt blue underglaze decoration Ø 4,6 x 11,8
Date: c. 1928
Box: signed by both artists, chakin, cloth, with Kiyomizu seal.
Comp: Utsunomiya Museum of Art, Taikan Yokoyama Retrospective (16-9 ->14-10 - 2012), # 107
Taikan was one of the most important painters of pre-war Tokyo.
He was extremely influential in the evolution of Nihonga. Together with Hishida Shunsô (1874 -1911), he developed a new style, eliminating the lines and concentrating on soft, blurred polychromes. Later he turned almost exclusively to monochrome ink paintings in various tones and shades of black. A number of his works has been classified as Important Cultural Property. He was one of the first artists to be awarded the Order of Culture when it was established in 1937.
next to a number of monographs
Roberts p. 200
Aburai p. 419 ff.
Conant ‘95 p. 333
Rokubei V was the second son of Kiyomizu Rokubei IV (# 61). He studied Shijô painting with Kôno Bairei; Kikuchi Hôbun (1862-1918), Taniguchi Kôkyô (1864-1915), Takeuchi Seihô (#64) and Tsuji Kakô (# 38-40) were his classmates. He also at the Kyoto Prefectural School of Painting. After graduation he studied ceramic techniques with his father.
His career as a ceramic artist began when he won a prize at the Fourth Domestic Industrial Exposition in 1895. He studied glazing techniques at the Kyoto Municipal Ceramic Laboratory established in 1896 and organized the Promoting Society for Craft Workers (Shokkô Shôrei-kai) with designer Kikuchi Sokû at the Laboratory in 1899. He actively worked on the study and research of new glazing techniques and (Western) designs. When Rokubei IV retired, he inherited the title and became Rokubei V in 1913. He exhibited at the Nôten, the Design and Applied Artworks Exhibition sponsored by the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce and the Teiten, the Imperial Art Academy Exhibition. He also became a member of the Imperial Art Academy and played an important role as a leading figure of the craft world. In 1945 he retired and took the artist’s name Rokuwa.
Kyoto ‘03, ’Sekka’ p. 326 ff.
Availability: On Request