<- Back Home


click image to enlarge

4. Kanô Tan’yû (1602-1674)
Kano
Mi dot style costal landscape
Signed: Tan'yûsai hitsu
Seals: Hôgen Tan'yû
Technique: sumi on silk 31 x58,7
Mounting: gold decorated blue and grey damask and brown silk
ivory rollers, 116 x 72
Box: double box authorised in January 1924 by Kanô Tanrei (1857-1931)
Condition: very good

Kanô Tan'yû was the foremost artist of his day. He was the eldest son of Kanô Takanobu (1571-1618) and the grandson of the extraordinarily talented Kanô Eitoku (1543-1590) who had worked for Nobunaga and Hideyoshi as goyô eshi, master painter employed by the court. He studied under Kanô Kôi (c.1569-1636). In 1614 moved from Kyoto to Edo and in 1617 only sixteen years old was appointed goyô eshi, painter in the service of the Shogun. By the time he was twenty years old he was awarded with a mansion which he turned into a workshop where he employed some twenty painters and a large number of assistants. In 1636 he became a priest on the shogun's orders and he changed his name from Morinobu to Tan'yû. In 1638 he received the rank of hôgen and in 1662 that of hôin. The Imperial household awarded Tan’yû with a membership in the aristocratic Fujiwara family. He established the Kanô style at the Edokoro, office of painting responsible for official painting commissions.

Reference:
Tokyo Metropolitan 2002
Nihon no bijutsu kaiga kinshû Vol.15
Fischer ‘15 p. 23-43
Rosenfield B.40
Roberts p.175;
Araki p. 1809;

Kanô Tanrei (1857-1931), student of Kanô Tambi Moritaka, the last representant of the Kajibashi branch of the Kanô school. He was a member of the committee of the Nihon Bijutsu Kyôkai and the Nihongakai.

Availability:
SOLD