|Nakajima Kahô (1866-1939) & Takahashi Dôhachi VI (1881-1941)|
Haiga / Kyôyaki
Set of 5 chashô, Bell shaped teacupsSigned: Buson ku Kahô sha & Kachûtei Dôhachi sei
Technique: Sometsuke: blue and white porcelain with a cobalt blue underglaze decoration Ø 6.8 x 5
Box: signed: Sha Buson ô ku Heian Kahô sha [seal:] Kenshô and Kachûtei rokuse Dôhachi tô [seals:] Dôhachi and >Hoei sanjin (= Dôhachi)
橋立の ま津や月日能 古本連種 蕪村句
Hashidate / Ya matsu wa tsukihi no / Koboredane.
At hashidate / The pine trees are seedlings / From the early days (HK)
Kahô was born in Kyôto, son of the painter Nakajima Kayô (?-1877), a pupil of Yokoyama Kazan (1784-1837). Kahô studied painting under Mori Kansai (1814-92) and calligraphy with his brother-in-law Tomioka Tessai (1836-1924), who was married to his sister Tatsu. He studied haiga works by Kikaku, Buson and Gekkei, but developed his own distinctive style.
. He participated in a lot of exhibitions, including the World Exhibition in Chicago in 1893.
Oranda Jin 2012
Araki p. 2030
Berry & Morioka ‘08 p. 285
Haiku & Haiga p. 195
Berry '01 pp. 176-177
Takahashi Dôhachi VI was born in Kyoto as the second son of Dôhachi IV (Michiyori Kachûtei) (1845-1897). He studied with his father as well as with his brother Dôhachi V. He also studied at the Kyoto Municipal Ceramics Laboratory. He inherited the title after his brother’s death and he became Dôhachi VI in 1915. At the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Shôwa in 1928 he produced a large flower vase. Dôhachi VI was known for his blue white porcelain and sencha, ware.
Kyoto 2003 p. 327