|Tanomura Chokugai (1903-1997) & Unrin’in Hôzan XX (born 1938)|
Nanga / Awata yaki
Momokata Kashibashi, peach shaped bowlSigned: Chokugai sha
Technique: Grey glazed Awata yaki with gohonde and a blue underglaze decoration. Ø 13,7 x 6,8
Box: signed by both painter and potter.
The inscription reads:
Piece by piece is wrapped in pink ravishing like clouds at sunset,
each of them completely covered with drops of dew. (HK)
Poem partly taken from a Chinese poem about apricot blossoms by Wang Xiang (185-269).
Box inscription: Chawan made by Hôzan and painted by Chokugai who also inscribed the box at the Hall of the painter-god.
Chokugai, born in Kyoto, is the great grand son of Tanomura Chokunyû (1814-1907). He studied with Tanaka Hakuin (1866-1934). He became a member of Kyoto Nihon Gaka Kyokai. And he was the director of the Kyoto Shoga-in.
Aburai p. 247
The first kiln of Awata yaki was at the old entrance of Kyoto near San’yô and the Heian shrine. It was founded by Sanmonjiya Kyûemon at the beginning of the 17th century.
Sanmonjiya Kyûemon is said to come from Seto, Aichi prefecture. Therefore, early period of Awatayaki glaze is similar to Seto Ware glaze. But also Shigaraki style as well as Korean style pottery was made there.
During the second world war the kilns were distroyed but rebuild later, never-the-less the company went broke in 1953. Ito Tôzan III (1901-70) and Kusube Yaichi (1897-1984), gave the Yawata kiln a new start and Yaichi especially awarded with the Order of Cultual Merits, the highest prize for ceramists. But with his death in 1984 it also meant the end of the kiln.
Availability: On Request