|38.4 Shimizu Kôshô (1911-1999)|
Chawan, tea bowl - Hanamai hito-odo, Dancing flowers, dancing peopleSigned: Kôshô
Seals: Hanase & Osa
Technique: Kagurayaki, stoneware from the Hanase kiln (at Kagura) with a decoration of iron oxide and cobalt blue with grey glaze and a cloudy white slip. Ø 12,5 x 7,4
Box: signed, with original chakin
Kôshô was born in Himeji. In 1927 he entered the Tôdai-ji in Nara. Upon graduating in Buddhist studies from Ryûkoku University in 1933, he took up residence at the Tenryû-ji for four years to study and practice Zen under the guidance of the Abbot Seki Seisetsu (1877-1945). In 1947 he became director of Tôdai -ji High School. In 1959 he was appointed director of the Monks' Academy (Kangakuin) at Tôdai-ji, and in 1963 became director of Tôdai-ji Girls' School and Tôdai -ji Kindergarten.
1969 marked a turning point in Kôshô's career, when he was appointed Head of Religious Affairs of the Kegon Tradition. In 1975 Kôshô was chosen to be the 207th abbot of Tôdai-ji, but he already resigned in 1981. For the remaining 18 years of his life, Shimizu Kôshô was a prolific “eccentric” painter, calligrapher and figurative potter.