|28.2 Hirano Kosô (1881-1935) with Unrin’in Hôzan XII (1849-1937) |
Kashibachi, Cake bowl - Take, BambooSigned: Kosô .. ..
Technique: Awatayaki sometsuke (Seikaji) - Translucent blue and white porcelain with a hand painted cobalt blue underglaze decoration. Ø 17 x 8,2
Kosô was born in Takeda Ôita prefecture. He worked in Kyoto where he studied Nanga painting with Tachika Chikuson (1864-1922), a pupil of Tanomuara Chokunyû (1814-1907). He died in Nagano.
Araki p. 494
Unrin’in Hôzan (Shôhei) XII
The first kiln of Awatayaki was founded at the beginning of the 17th century at the old entrance to Kyoto near San’yô and the Heian shrine. In the 1860s the kiln moved to the Hachiman shrine and around 1920 Hozan XII moved it again to the Sennyû-ji at Higashiyama.
During the Second World War the kilns were destroyed. They were later rebuilt but, unfortunately, too late to save the business, which went bankrupt in 1953. Ito Tôzan III (1901-1970) and Kusube Yaichi (1897-1984) gave the Awata kiln a new start. However, at Yaichi’s death it closed for good.
Roberts p. 50
Availability: On Request