|Hirao Chikka (1856-1939), Takahashi Dôhachi VI (1881-1941) & Yamada Kokô (1852-1935)|
Chawan, tea bowl - Mount Fuji (in commeration of the 150th anniversary of Ike Taiga)Signed: Chikka sanjin sha, Senshû yuki Kokô dai, Dôhachi
Seals: Arina ô hyakugojûnen (150 years)
Technique: grey glazed kiyoyaki with a light underglaze painting and calligraphy Ø 12 x 6.5
Box: signed by Chikka and Dôhachi, Tomogire (wrapping cloth) sealed: Kachûtei
Chikka was born as the son of a potter in the service of the kiln of the daimyô of Sasayama, Tanba prefecture (nowadays called Hyôgu). In Kyoto Chikka became a pupil of the Shijô school painter Shiokawa Bunrin (1808-1877). After his death Chikka studied with the Nanga painter Tanômura Chokunyû (1814-1907). He traveled extensively with his teacher and on his own, absorbing various local traditions. An important artist who assisted in the founding of the Nihon Nanga-in organization of painters.
Araki p. 665
Kokô Lived in Kyoto. He studied calligraphy with Chô-sanshû (..)
Takahashi Dôhachi VI was born in Kyoto as the second son of Dôhachi IV (Michiyori Kachûtei) (1845-1897). He studied with his father as well as with his brother Dôhachi V. He also studied at the Kyoto Municipal Ceramics Laboratory. He inherited the title after his brother’s death and he became Dôhachi VI in 1915. At the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Shôwa in 1928 he produced a large flower vase. Dôhachi VI was known for his blue white porcelain and sencha, ware.
Kyoto 2003 p. 327
Availability: On Request