<- Back Home


click image to enlarge

Shimizu Kôshô (1911-1999) & Karugayaki
Karugayaki
Set of 6 tea bowls - bushô chawan: Fuji and Longevity (congratulations!)
Signed: Seventy seven Kôshô
Seals:
Technique: Kagurayaki, stoneware from the Kagura kiln, with a decoration of iron oxide and cobalt blue with grey glaze and a cloudy white slip. Ø 11,8 x 10,7
Date: January 3rd 1988
Box: signed
Condition: fine

Shimizu Kôshô was born in Himeji. In 1927 he entered the Todai-ji in Nara. Upon graduating in Buddhist studies from Ryokoku University in 1933 he took up residence at the Tenryu-ji for four years to study and practice Zen under the guidance of the Abbot Seki Seisetsu (1877-1945). In 1947 he became director of Todai-ji High School. In 1959 he was appointed director of the Monks' Academy (Kangakuin) at Todai-ji, and in 1963 became director of Todai-ji Girls' School and Todai-ji Kindergarten. 1969 marked a turning point in Kôshô's career, when he was appointed Head of Religious Affairs of the Kegon Tradition. When in 1975 the abbot Kamitsukasa Kaiun (1907-1975) died Kôshô was chosen to be his successor, and he became the 207th abbot of Todai-ji. However, he already resigned in 1981.

For the remaining 18 years of his life, Shimizu Kôshô was dedicated to art. He became a prolific "eccentric" painter, calligrapher and figurative potter. In 1994, when the Shosha Art and Craft Museum (in Himeji, Hyogo Prefecture), was founded, Kôshô was made its honorary director.

Kagurayô oven aan de voet van de berg Asama (Asamayama) bij de stad Ise in de provincie Mie

Availability: On Request