|Kasumi Bunshô (1905-1998), Uchide-yaki |
Katsutô chawan - barrel cup - Sôry - Buddhist monks. [Unsui rempatsu, Begging monks]Signed: Nanyô
Technique: Wheel-turned cream crackled glazed Uchide yaki , with a brown tetsu-e, underglaze painting
The inscription reads: 伴歸無月村, Tomonatte wa mugetsu no mura ni kaeru
Returning together to the village where the moon isn’t shining.
Kôan nr 44 of the Mumonkan 無門関, a collection of verse shaped kôans by Mumon Huikai 無門慧開 (1183-1260) (Song dynasty, 12th century).
The complete line reads: 扶過斷橋水、伴歸無月村。茶碗銘
Tasukette wa dankyô no mizu o sugi, tomonatte wa mugetsu no mura in kaeru.
Supporting [each other] while crossing the water of the broken bridge,
To return together to the village where the moon is not shining.
Kasumi Bunshô, the 642nd abbot of Myôshin-ji, became a priest in 1921, but he only started his Zen training at Enpuku-ji temple at Yawata in 1933. In 1943 he became abbot at the Kaisei-ji temple in Nishomiya, the same temple where Nantembô and Deiryû resided before him. In 1949 he started his own dôjô, training hall, there and became shike, Zen master. In 1990 he was recommended to be 29th Kanchô, Chief Abbot, of the Myôshin sect at Myôshin-ji, again following in the footsteps of Nantembô and Deiryû. In 1994 he retired.
Dujin pp. 45-48, 86
Moog p. 32-33
Uchide yaki. In 1901, Wada Kujyuromasataka established a pottery in Nishinomiya Shrine Village to create pieces for the tea ceremony. In 1910, his second son, Masae, moved the pottery to Higashi Sakuragi-cho, Amagasaki.
Availability: On Request