<- Back Home


click image to enlarge

Shimizu Kôshô (1911-1999)
Zenga
Hana hiraite chô onozu to kitar - When flowers open butterflies come
Signed: Bettô Kôshô
Seals: Tôdai bettô, Kôshô , .. .. (top)
Technique: sumi on paper 133 x 33,5
Date: after 1978
Mounting: grey silk
wooden rollers, 194 x 48
Box: signed double
Condition: fine

Box inscription:  二0八世別當公照「印」公照 [signed:] 208 dai bettô Kôshô
He became the 208th generation abbot, dai bettô, in 1978)

Shimizu Kôshô was born in Himeji. In 1927 he entered the Todai-ji in Nara. Upon graduating in Buddhist studies from Ryokoku University in 1933 he took up residence at the Tenryu-ji for four years to study and practice Zen under the guidance of the Abbot Seki Seisetsu (1877-1945). In 1947 he became director of Todai-ji High School. In 1959 he was appointed director of the Monks' Academy (Kangakuin) at Todai-ji, and in 1963 became director of Todai-ji Girls' School and Todai-ji Kindergarten. 1969 marked a turning point in Kôshô's career, when he was appointed Head of Religious Affairs of the Kegon Tradition. When in 1975 the abbot Kamitsukasa Kaiun (1907-1975) died Kôshô was chosen to be his successor, and he became the 208th abbot of Todai-ji. However, he already resigned in 1981.

For the remaining 18 years of his life, Shimizu Kôshô was dedicated to art. He became a prolific "eccentric" painter, calligrapher and figurative potter. In 1994, when the Shosha Art and Craft Museum (in Himeji, Hyogo Prefecture), was founded, Kôshô was made its honorary director.

Availability: On Request