|Kasumi Bunshô (1905-1998)|
Katsutô chawan - barrel cup - Sôryo,Unsui rempatsu, begging monksSigned: Nanyô
Technique: Wheel-turned cream crackled glazed Uchide yaki , with a brown tetsu-e, underglaze painting Ø 11 x 8.2
The inscription reads: 伴歸無月村 Tomonatte wa mugetsu no mura ni kaeru
Returning together to the village where the moon isn’t shining.
Kôan nr 44 of the Mumonkan, a collection of verse shaped kôans by Mumon Huikai (1183-1260)
Kasumi Bunshô, the 642nd abbot of Myôshin-ji, became a priest in 1921, but he only started his Zen training at Enpuku-ji temple at Yawata in 1933. In 1943 he became abbot at the Kaisei-ji temple in Nishomiya, the same temple where Nantembô and Deiryû resided before him. In 1949 he started his own dôjô, training hall, there and became shike, Zen master. In 1990 he was recommended to be 29th Kanchô, Chief Abbot, of the Myôshin sect at Myôshin-ji, again following in the footsteps of Nantembô and Deiryû. In 1994 he retired.
Uchideyaki: In 1901, Wada Kujyuromasataka established a pottery in Nishinomiya Shrine Village to create pieces for the tea ceremony. In 1910, his second son, Masae, moved the pottery to Higashi Sakuragi-cho, Amagasaki and changed the name to Kotonoura Pottery. Masae also assisted with establishing a pottery to specialize in tea ceremony pieces in Seido Village of Mukogun, Hyogo Prefecture. This pottery formed the origins of Uchide Pottery, which also specialized in pieces for the tea ceremony.
Availability: On Request